Wednesday, March 31, 2010

New Specials for 3/31 - 4/6

So I could not wait to check the specials this morning and get back to everyone with the weekly highlights. My favorites so far include:


  • Buy one, get one whole beef tenderloin
  • Filet Mignon – $8.99/lb (that’s about $6 less than usual)
  • Bone-in Turkey breast - $1.99/lb - not sure how much of a deal this is yet. I'll have to see how big a bone-in turkey breast is exactly...
  • Bone in pork chops - $2.97/lb
  • Asparagus - $0.99/lb
  • Sargento shredded cheese – 2 for $4
  • Breakstone sour cream – 16 oz – buy one, get one

Here’s a link to the flyer so you can see the complete specials for yourself: http://flyer.harristeeter.com/HT_eVIC/ThisWeek/index.jsp?ID8575


I’ll be back with recipes later. In the meantime wanted to share some other ideas….


I always call my parents on my way to work each morning during my 30 minute commute. This morning Mom told me about something her mom would do with leftover chuck roast. The next night she would add sour cream to the meat and gravy, serve over egg noodles and call it beef stroganoff. I have never had beef stroganoff and have no idea what is usually in it, but this sounds like it could be worth a try. Maybe I’ll do that tomorrow with our leftovers instead of the Fiery “Fried” Chicken and report back….


For those living in Raleigh….a friend told me about a wholesale grocery store called Aldi. It’s on Wake Forest Rd, just past the Hilton on your left. Apparently you can get trash bags and counter wipes for $0.99. I hate spending money on trash bags and counter wipes! She even said eggs are around $1 and a half dozen bananas are less than $1. I’ll have to check it out when I go to Pet Supplies Plus in the same shopping center. Crazy (aka Otis, our 85 pound black lab) needs more Purina Pro Plan. He goes through a 40 pound bag each month. Too bad that’s never on VIC special! He eats so many other things you wouldn't think he'd need that much food. I could probably do another blog on the non-food items Otis has eaten/destroyed. FYI – 2 T of fresh hydrogen peroxide will make socks, gloves, underwear, etc. reappear….


And lastly – here is a coupon site another friend told me about – southernsavers.com – it matches VIC specials to current coupons. I wish I were more coupon savvy so I could take advantage of all these deals. It seems a little overwhelming right now, but we can take baby steps… I will try and match up items on sale that I'm using in recipes this week to practice.


No comments:

Post a Comment