Monday, November 22, 2010

In Honor of Thanksgiving...

I can't even try to pretend that I've analyzed the specials and concocted recipes for the week.  I'm saving up for my mom's Thanksgiving cooking and refuse to step foot in the craziness that is the Harris Teeter.  There will be a lot of improvising at our house until Thursday, but if you will be in the kitchen and are in need of some guaranteed to impress recipes for your Thanksgiving feast or otherwise here are my faves.  Compliments of my mother...

Twice Baked Mashed Potato Casserole
I've only made this once.  I called my mom for the recipe and she didn't have one.  She said she just adds everything "to taste."  As I was making it I asked her if she thought I had used enough butter and sour cream, and she said I should probably double it.  So, it may not be the healthiest dish on the table, but it will not disappoint.
  • 6 large baking potatoes
  • 8 oz. sour cream
  • 1/2 c. butter
  • salt
  • white pepper
  • Velveeta cheese
  • paprika
Peel, cube and boil potatoes.  Drain and mash potatoes adding the butter, sour cream, salt and white pepper.  Put potatoes into a greased 2 1/2 quart casserole, top with cheese -- mom will cut the Velveeta into small rectangles and kind of make a sun on top (the casserole she uses is round).  Bake at 350 for 30 - 45 minutes until cheese melts. Sprinkle with paprika to make it pretty.

Sweet Potato Souffle
I love simple yams, brown sugar and marshmallows, but this is definitely a favorite.  I think the coconut in the topping is what makes it so good.
  • 2 - 29 oz cans sweet potatoes, drained
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1/3 stick melted butter
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 c. milk
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 1/4 t. nutmeg
  • 1/4 t. cinnamon
Mix potatoes and all other ingredients.  Put into a greased casserole dish.  Top with this topping:
  • 1/2 c. light brown sugar
  • 3 T. self rising flour
  • 1/2 c. chopped walnuts or pecans
  • 1/2 c. coconut
  • 1 1/2 T. melted butter
Mix all together and sprinkle over potatoes.  Bake for 30 minutes at 350.

Ok...my stomach is officially growling.  Happy Thanksgiving!






No comments:

Post a Comment