Monday, May 2, 2011

Quesadilla Deliciousness

So my last post was in December.  I have no excuses other than I'm pregnant, have a 21 month old and work full time.  So when I'm not chasing a wannabe superman,working, going to the grocery store, or trying to get a pink nursery put together, I am usually on the couch with my feet up.  Each week I keep meaning to come back to the blog, but when the weekend comes it is 10:00 on Sunday night before I know it.  But I must tell you about our dinner tonight -- especially with Cinco de Mayo upon us.  The recipe comes from the March 2007 issue of Real Simple.  Although these days this is the norm, especially when a Mexican dish is involved, I could show zero restraint and went back for a full plate of seconds -- I needed the sides of salsa and avocado to up my vegetable intake. 

Quesadilla Pie
Ingredients (bags of shredded cheese are buy one, get one; avocadoes are 2 for $4, and zucchini is $1.79/pound)
  • 1 10-ounce can green or red enchilada sauce (I used the green enchilada sauce)
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream (I used half and half because we already had some in the fridge)
  • 4 8-inch flour tortillas
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) grated Monterey Jack, plus 1/4 cup for the top (I used 2 cups for everything)
  • 1 3 1/2- to 4-pound rotisserie chicken, shredded
  • 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
  • 1 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced (I doubled the zucchini and may have even used 2 and a half)
  • 1 cup of your favorite salsa
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
Directions

 1.Heat oven to 400° F. In a small bowl, combine the enchilada sauce and cream. Spoon ¼ cup of the mixture into a shallow 2-quart casserole.

 2.Top with 1 tortilla and a third each of the cheese, chicken, onion, and zucchini. Repeat twice to form a total of 3 layers. Top with the remaining tortilla, sauce mixture, and cheese.

 3.Cover loosely with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for 5 minutes more. (I baked mine a little longer -- probably 20 minutes covered and 15 minutes uncovered -- because I got carried away with the vacuum trying to remove the Otis tumbleweeds taking over my hall.)

 4.Slice into wedges and serve with the salsa, avocado, and cilantro

No comments:

Post a Comment