Sunday, September 19, 2010

Save the Drama for the Llamas

image taken from my son's copy of llama llama red pajama, by Anna Dewdney

Why is it that I find myself relating to the Llama Mama in Anna Dewdney’s Llama Llama Red Pajama each night at bedtime? Why can’t I relate to someone more glamorous and carefree like Serena Van Der Woodsen? I’ve become a very busy mama, but this week I’m trying to eliminate some of the craziness with meals I can prepare ahead of time. I hope to also revamp the blog. I don’t know if there’s a way to make grocery shopping glamorous and exciting, but I’m going to try!

VIC Specials of interest…. http://flyer.harristeeter.com/HT_eVIC/ThisWeek/index.jsp?ID8525

Whole fryer chickens - $0.59/pound
HT Shredded Cheeses - $1.77 each and if you are an e-VIC member you get one pack at $0.97.
HT Cream Soups – 4 for $3
HT Canned Broths – 3 for $2

I’m also buying rotisserie chickens on Sunday (always $4.99 on Sunday).

Monday – Mexican Lasagna
This recipe comes from Jennifer Brock via Make it Easy. I haven’t made it before, but I’ve been looking for recipes I can make ahead and this one looks fun and different. I can also put half in a separate casserole to freeze for later. I think I’ll substitute shredded rotisserie chicken for the lean ground beef.

-1 pound lean ground beef (I’m using shredded chicken from one rotisserie chicken)
-1 packet taco seasoning – Old El Paso is buy one, get one
-1 small can mexi-corn (I’ve said before I’ve become a corn snob, but HT’s “border blend corn” is on special for only $0.77 a can)
-An 8 oz can of tomato sauce
-8 oz. cream cheese
-3 c. Mexican cheese blend, divided – HT brand on VIC special
-9 – 12 no boil lasagna noodles (if only everything were as easy as no boil lasagna noodles)
-5 -6 c. salsa – HT brand is on sale for $1.97 each for a 24 oz. jar
Garnish with fresh cilantro, sour cream and chopped tomatoes

Brown meat over medium-high heat until it crumbles (I get to skip this step with the chicken). Stir in taco seasoning, corn, and tomato sauce. Cook 5 – 10 minutes or until well mixed and thickened – can add ¼ c. water if needed).

Remove from heat and immediately stir in cream cheese and 1 ½ c. shredded cheese until melted.

Spread 1 c. salsa in greased 9 x 13 baking pan. Layer 3 noodles, 2 c. beef mixture, 1 c. salsa. Repeat layers 1 – 2 more times. Top with remaining 3 noodles and 2 c. salsa. Sprinkle with remaining 1 ½ c. cheese.

Cover with non-stick aluminum foil. Bake, covered at 375 for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 more minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned. Let stand 10 minutes before serving and garnish as desired.

Tuesday – Ma and Nancy’s Baked Chicken
This is one of my mother-in-law’s contributions to Make it Easy. Only recently tried this and after doing so, do not know why I haven’t done it before. Maybe it was the cleaning of the chicken that intimidated me. Removing the neck, liver and gizzards takes some getting used to. After you get past that, it is an easy, delicious meal. I think I’ll clean the chicken and prepare the veggies a day ahead. Then all I’ll have to do on Tuesday is dress the chicken with the oil and spices and throw in the veggies.

· 1 large baking chicken – VIC Special
· Olive oil
· Seasoned salt
· Fresh ground pepper
· 1 T chopped rosemary (I think I used a lot more, but forgot to chop it)
· Lemon juice
· 3 onions, quartered
· Carrots
· Fresh mushrooms – on special 2 packs for $4

Wash chicken with water and pat dry. Sprinkle chicken liberally with first 5 ingredients and place in roasting pan or deep baking dish.

Broil both sides in oven to crisp skin – I probably did this for about 4 minutes on each side, but could have done it a little longer. I got scared when I saw rosemary popping and didn’t want it to burn.

Place chicken breast side up and surround with veggies. Put a few tablespoons of water (or chicken broth) in bottom of pan, cover well with foil and bake for at least an hour to an hour and a half at 350. (I put water and white wine in my pan and probably did several tablespoons, rather than a few.)

Serve with rice or pasta and pan juices.

Jaquelin notes other veggies can be used, including leeks, potatoes turnips and peppers.

Wednesday – Chicken Tetrazzini with Proscuitto and Peas
This recipe begins with my very favorite tetrazzini recipe found in the January 2009 issue of Southern Living.  I’ll try and make this on Sunday too while the chicken is really fresh and easy to shred. I’ve posted the original before, but here it is again.  As Southern Living suggests, the prosciutto and peas will add a little more (good) drama and excitement to one of our weekday staples. You can easily divide into two casseroles and freeze one for later.

-1 – 7oz package vermicelli
-3 c chopped chicken – I’ll use chicken from one of the rotisserie chickens
-1 can cream of mushroom – on VIC special
-1 can sliced mushrooms, drained – I always skip
-½ c chicken broth – on VIC special
-¼ c dry white wine
-¼ t freshly ground pepper
-½ c slivered almonds – I substitute bread crumbs for the almonds. Just more likely to have bread crumbs in the pantry.
-3 oz. finely chopped prosciutto sautéed in 2 T. hot oil 2 -3 minutes, until crisp
-1 c. frozen peas, thawed


Preheat oven to 350. Prepare pasta according to directions. Meanwhile combine chicken, ½ c parmesan, soup, alfredo sauce, mushrooms, chicken broth, wine and pepper. Stir in pasta, peas and proscuitto. Spoon into casserole dish and top with remaining parmesan and almonds/breadcrumbs. Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly.

Thursday – Leftovers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment